Podcast: NL Central Preview
Sorry Pirate fans…when Paul Maholm is the ace of your staff, your team is up shit’s creek without a paddle.
Earlier this week, I once again guested on Alex Reimer’s fine show, Without a Curse. The topic du jour was the National League Central, and the two of us ran down the 2010 prospects for each team, discussing:
- The woeful state of the Pirates and their endless recycling of talent into a perpetual rebuilding program;
- Whether new manager Brad Mills can shake up a lethargic Astro organization;
- The Reds, a seriously exciting team of the future, and how soon that future will arrive;
- How it’s the same old, same old in Milwaukee: plenty of offense, but a pitching staff — that while deeper — remains full of question marks;
- Whether the Cub sticks will bounce back and that Starlin Castro could provide a major mid-season boost if needed; and
- How I’m not sure what to make of the Cardinals this year, but am interested to see if Dave Duncan’s magic can revitalize Brad Penny.
I come in around the 6:30 mark, so press play below to get the complete scoop on baseball’s biggest division.