NHL Western Conference Transactions
Andy MacDonald may not fly under the radar much longer. (Arnold C. Buchanan-Hermit)
First off, who the hell are we? We’ll be providing your Fantasy hockey updates/analysis/rants right here on RotoRob.com. In our other life, we have a non-Fantasy hockey blog and we also contribute to The Battle of California (representing the San Jose Sharks point of view). So hello, how do you do, etc. etc.
Random Fantasy thoughts on some of the bigger Western Conference transactions this offseason:
- Who’s the biggest winner in the Chris Pronger sweepstakes? Probably the Anaheim power play, which means that if your Fantasy league tallies bonus points for the man advantage, keep Teemu Selanne in mind. Also, Andy MacDonald continues to fly under the radar — did you know he had over 80 points last season? Chances are, it’ll go even higher and hardly anyone knows about him. Ditto Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf; those two are the reason why GM Brian Burke could trade away sniper Joffrey Lupul.
- Moving up north, the winner of the “Instant Stats” sweepstakes is former Blackhawk Mark Bell. Yes sir, you too can play with Joe Thornton and Jonathon Cheechoo if you’re (a) affordable; (b) a left wing; (c) a hefty dude; (d) can score at least 20 goals; or (e) all of the above. Bell will probably be a good late round pick.
- What’s going on in Minnesota? Marian Gaborik and Pavol Demitra apparently wanted to do a couples figure skating routine, but Pavol doesn’t look good in a flowing skirt. Instead, the Slovak Best Buds wound up in Minnesota. This will finally give Gaborik some offensive support — that is until Demitra, master of the freak injury, drops an anvil on his toe or gets struck by lightning.
- Just call it a hunch, but we think Jeremy Roenick will actually have a decent (50-to- 60 points) season. How can we tell? He’s not playing in the annual Lake Tahoe golf tourney, so he must be training out in the Phoenix sun.
- Do you think Paris Hilton and her annoying tilted smirk will follow Jose Theodore to Denver? If the Avs have a crappy season, you can blame the Hilton distraction, not the loss of Alex Tanguay. Theodore’s wild inconsistency continued during the playoffs, alternating between unbelievable and horrible on a nightly basis. With a depleted Colorado defense, don’t be surprised if he has a mediocre (but not disastrous) season. He’s not the second coming of Jim Carey, but consistency is not Theodore’s friend.
- Speaking of Tanguay, rumour (ha!) has it that Darryl Sutter wants to move him to centre to play with Jarome Iginla. Something tells us that this move won’t work, though a combination of Iginla and Tanguay — even playing an off position — is better than the old combination of Iginla and no one. Still, a new position and new linemates means that Tanguay will probably take a while to get into the groove.
- Here’s another hunch — the dynamic duo of Dominik “The Missing Groin” Hasek and Chris “The Missing Talent” Osgood won’t last past December. Look for the Wings to shop for a goalie as soon as the duct tape falls off Hasek’s groin again. Osgood might be a good late round draft pick if you need goaltending because the chances of Hasek getting hurt are pretty darn high.
For hockey analysis, rants, and random music references, visit Mike Chen’s Hockey Blog.